The Festival begins on July 14 and culminates on July 20
The artists of artEAST and the Issaquah Highlands Council are heading outdoors this summer, and they’re inviting the community along with them. At the Art Outside Festival, the public will enjoy opportunities to view art inspired by nature, interact with artists as they paint in outdoor locations throughout Issaquah, and create their own outdoor art.
The Festival begins on July 14 and culminates on July 20 in conjunction with the annual Highlands Day festival in the Issaquah Highlands. Events take place at artEAST Art Center, Blakely Hall, Grand Ridge Plaza, Issaquah Highlands Village Green Park and other Issaquah locations.
artEAST 3rd Annual Heron Rookery Project
Monday, July 14 to Thursday, July 17th
Stop by the Village Green Park (2550 NE Park Drive) to witness Environmental Artist Karen White facilitate community organizations build human-sized bird nests using locally acquired natural materials and no hardware. Every day a different group builds a nest. Follow us on Facebook for daily updates.
Northwest Landscapes Grand and Intimate Exhibitions
Friday, July 18, 6:30-8 p.m.
Opening reception at Blakely Hall, 2550 NE Park Dr., Issaquah
An exhibition of Grand Works,paintings larger than 16x 20, will open at Blakely Hall on July 18. The opening event at Blakely Hall will begin with a salon critique by Mitch Albala, author of Landscape Painting: Essential Techniques for Plein Air and Studio Practice. The public is encouraged to vote for Peoples Choice awards throughout the duration of the exhibit. People’s Choice winners will be announced August 27, 2014.
Plein Air Festival
July 19-20, locations throughout Issaquah Highlands
Plein air, or open air, painting is the centuries-old technique of painting outdoors, on location, using colors and techniques that capture the fleeting effects of natural light. This style of painting is both spontaneous and challenging. Co-hosted by Plein Air Washington Artists and Grand Ridge Plaza, with artist awards provided by Frame Central in Grand Ridge Plaza, the Art Outside Plein Air Festival brings together artists from around the Northwest to paint in locations throughout Issaquah Highlands. Residents will enjoy opportunities to observe and interact with the painters and to purchase their paintings at Village Green Park on July 20 during the Highlands Day Art Outside event.
FESTIVAL FUN! ART OUTSIDE at Highlands Day! Schedule of Events
July 20th, 3:00 to 7:00PM at Blakely Hall and Village Green Park (2550 NE Park Drive)
- 2:45PM – Nature on Parade! line up begins at the top of Village Green Park (intersection of Park Drive and 30th Ave NE). EVERYONE is encouraged to dress as a favorite plant, animal or insect and join in!
- 3:00PM Nature on Parade! Watch your neighbors circle the Village Green Park as we open Highlands Day with a traditional community parade.
- 3:00PM – Festival Opens
- 3:00PM – Family Art-Together Time Tents Open
- 3:30PM – Paint to Music!
- 4:00PM – Watermelon Eating Contest, sponsored by Safeway
- 4:30PM – Fun from the Stage
- 5:00PM – Highlands Fiber Network Name the Mascot Winner Announced!
- 5:30PM – Fun from the Stage
- 6:00PM – Paint to Music!
- 6:30PM – Closing Comments
- Ride the ever-popular Swing Chair!
- Climb the Cliffs on the Rock Walls!
- Race your Neighbor on the Hamster Ball Track!
- Roll, Flip, and Spin with your Friends on the Gravitron!
*Tickets are $1.00 each. Activities Above: 3 Tickets each OR $10 bracelet for unlimited fun! Visa/Mastercard Accepted
Thank you to our Title Sponsors!
The financial contributions by the business and organizations below made ART OUTSIDE, Highlands Day 2014 possible.