How to Repaint Your Home (with ARC Approval)
Painting your home without Issaquah Highlands Community Association (IHCA) Architectural Review Committee (ARC) approval can result in expensive repainting requirements. The IHCA is happy to assist you with the ARC approval process.
An ARC application must be sent to the IHCA for paint color approval by the ARC unless you are repainting your home using the original color palette. Issaquah Highlands does not have a designated color palette to ensure home colors stay relevant as trends change.
Note that regardless of color, you must notify your neighbors of your upcoming paint project. For complete guidelines and applications, go to issaquahhighlands.com/learn/issaquah-highlands-community-association-ihca/ihca-architectural-guidelines-and-forms.
Here are the IHCA’s tips for a successful home repainting project:
- Use fresh, new colors to keep your home looking modern.
- Consider colors that are complementary to neighboring homes.
- Hire a licensed and bonded painter; have them provide proof of insurance.
- Sample the paint your paint vendor supplies prior to starting the exterior spray process. Sheen and tint can be off, leaving you with an incorrect color.
- Always apply two coats for paint longevity.
- If the paint color is not what was approved by the IHCA ARC, stop the project. The IHCA has the right to ask you to repaint your home to an approved color if an unapproved color is applied, at the homeowner’s expense.
- Plan to repaint your home every 7-10 years to uphold your home’s integrity and rejuvenate its appearance.
Resident Benefit Program
The IHCA has a special deal with Sherwin Williams®, specifically for Issaquah Highlands residents. Email Blair Krieg, IHCA community manager, for more information.
Beware of Scams
Painters who are willing to paint your home in bold, unusual colors not seen in your neighborhood know full well that the homeowners association will make you repaint it. The painter gets paid twice. If you don’t see homes in your neighborhood in the colors you are considering, there is likely a reason.